Serves: 4 (makes 1 dozen)
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup white onion (about ½ of a small onion), diced
8 extra large eggs
4 cups Inspired Greens Multileaf Trio lettuce leaves, sliced into thin shreds
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano + 2 Tbsp for sprinkling, grated
1/2 cup havarti cheese, grated
1. Preheat your oven to 350F. Grease muffin tins with olive oil. Ensure they are greased well, or use muffin tin liners to make sure the frittatas don’t stick.
2. Heat your butter in a small saucepan over medium high heat, when completely melted and starting to bubble (1-2 minutes, watch carefully to make sure it doesn’t burn), add your onion. Cook until translucent and starting to brown, 5-7 minutes.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs. Add chopped lettuce, basil and both cheeses, reserving 2 Tbsp of the Parm to sprinkle on after. Season with salt and pepper and whisk with a fork to combine well. It will look like there is a lot of lettuce, don’t worry, this will shrink down.
4. Distribute your egg mixture evenly between the muffin tins. Sprinkle the tops with remaining parmesan cheese.
5. Place tin in the oven and bake for 17 - 20 minutes. You want your frittatas to be moist but no egg left uncooked.
6. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Remove the frittatas from the pan by loosening them with a spatula around the edges (not needed if using parchment paper liners).
Enjoy these mini frittatas fresh out of the oven or reheat them in the microwave or toaster oven for a quick breakfast or snack throughout the week!
Lindsay Pleskot is a Vancouver-based Registered Dietitian who also works with clients globally online. Her approach is to focus on what you’re adding into your diet, not what you “can’t” eat. Lindsay’s passion is in the kitchen creating delicious, nutritious and inspiring recipes that will help you save time and eat well in a simple, yet delicious way!
or blog at LindsayPleskot.com