16 Inspired Greens Red or Green Batavia leaves
1/2 of an avocado, thinly sliced
1/4 cup of feta or cotija cheese
Cilantro to garnish
Chili flakes * optional
3/4 cup of your favorite salsa
1/4 cup of corn, frozen
1/3 of a jalapeño, diced
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 large clove of garlic, minced
1 cup black beans
1. In a small saucepan, add your salsa, corn and jalapeno and let it simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes
2. Over medium high heat, add 2 Tbsp of your oil to a small frying pan. Allow oil to heat up about 30 seconds. Add minced garlic and stir for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant
3. Add black beans and stir, mashing with the back of a spoon. Add salt and pepper to taste. Some beans will remain whole and others mashed. Cook for 4-5 minutes until browned and a bit crispy
4. In a separate large frying pan, heat the remaining 1 Tbsp oil over medium high heat. Crack egg into pan and cook for about 3-4 minutes until the white is cooked all the way through and the yolk is to your liking.
5. While everything finishes cooking, start plating your lettuce leaves. Stack the leaves with the top rounded edge facing outward and the stems slightly overlapping each other to form a circle. Use 4 leaves for each “tortilla”.
5. Start topping with your beans, 1 egg each, sliced avocado, warm salsa, cheese and cilantro. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and/or chili flakes if you like.
Lindsay Pleskot is a Vancouver-based Registered Dietitian who also works with clients globally online. Her approach is to focus on what you’re adding into your diet, not what you “can’t” eat. Lindsay’s passion is in the kitchen creating delicious, nutritious and inspiring recipes that will help you save time and eat well in a simple, yet delicious way!
or blog at LindsayPleskot.com